Tuesday, June 29, 2004

The start of the journey

Ahem.. ahem... Is this thing on? Testing!! Checkkkkk! Syballance.. syballance..

Okay, thus begins my first foray into blogging. I apprach this online journal not without experience, however. Somewhere out there are my journals, which I kept from 1986 to 1996. Nearly two thousand pages in several tomes; all of which disappeared at 612 Broderick St in SF. My future wife and I lived there for several years. Somehow, my journals vanished during that time.

I call the blog "Thirst" after a personal belief I have in why suffering exists in the world. I happen to be of the opinion that there is an all-powerful, all-loving, all-knowing God out there who has a plan for creation. I'm a theological determinist. The problem is how does one rectify an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent God with genocide, famine, racism and oppression? Again, I don't believe in free will, which is just an illusion.

Think about the following: The glass of lemonade tastes much better to the person who is dying of thirst than to one who has just drank.

Humanity has been made to suffer so profoundly in our time, so much "evil" exists in our time because God is making us "thirsty" for something else. We've been allowed to stray from universal oneness for a time in order to bring about the profound changes in our physical world we around us. Without secular individualism, there would be no modern capitalism. Without capitalim, no Industrial Revolution, and then no technology and you would not be reading these words right now. Now, we're being made "thirsty" to return to where we once were, and some cultures never left - communal oneness with each other and God.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:06 AM

    So, you're saying God is some prick who is simply leading us on (or considering there is no free will, leading us through) a wild goose chase?

    Zelig X

    ReplyDelete