Thursday, October 06, 2005

Jojo Lapa follow up

More on the goofy Quik Stop guy.... It would help if you've already read the post from a few weeks ago entitled "JoJo Lapa." If not, see the links below and to the right.

Soon after my great bonding experience with the Nepalese kid who works at the QuikStop down the hill, I went in again and exclaimed "Jojo Lapa!". He kind of frowned and looked away and responded half-heartedly, "jo jo la pa." Then, in all seriousness, he added, "You see, my people don't say 'jojo lapa'. The people on the other other side of the mountains, they say jojolapa. My people say something different."

"Namaste?" I inquired, knowing that to be the formal way in Hindi to say hello.

"Ah, yes, but more commonly, 'Namasko'", he replied.

Now, of course, whenever I go in, we exchange hearty namasko's.

Tonight when I walked in to buy my nightly can of beer, Metallica's Master of Puppets was playing rather loudly on the radio behind the register. Namasko kid noticed my enthusiasm for the music and asked if I liked it. Metallica is, of course, one of my favorite bands and an important part of my personal musical development. I told him I liked it without really revealing exactly how significant it was to me.

Namasko Kid began a monologue (much to the dismay of the next guy in line) on how he had felt Metallica to be the most significant musical group to come along in recent history, surpassed only in its impact by Nirvana. He told me how strongly he had been influenced by Metallica which made the arrival of Nirvana and the whole Seattle sound somewhat surprising yet that much more profound. Wow. I had taken this guy to be at least 10 years my junior, but from the timeline he was describing, he has to be near my age. Even stranger was that this is exactly how I feel about how my musical tastes devloped and evolved between the years 1986 and 1995. I was tired after a long day at work and just wanted to get home, but I really have to talk to this guy more about music; his tastes and opinions parallel mine.

Speaking of the next guy in line, his conversation with Namasko Kid demonstrates another thing I'd talked about in the first JoJo Lapa post, namely that the guy has a knack for making his patrons feel uncomfortable. I had my single can of Colt 45 on the counter, and the guy behind me notes, "Colt 45, good beer!" He had a bottle of Miler High Life. I should mention that I've seen the guy a million times in the QuikStop, and he me. He is one of our neighborhood drunks, although for me, thats a bit like we kettles calling you pots black. In any case, the old alcoholic black guy turns to the Namasko Kid and says, "he's buying a beer! How come you don't tell him he's always buying beer?!" I was on my way out at that point, but I started to hear the guy complaining that Namasko Kid told him he was always buying beer, and he didn't like that. If you're the neighborhood equivalent of a retail bartender, it's not a good idea to be pointing out to your regular customers that they're a lot of drunks. If we weren't too sodden to drive elsewhere, we might take our business to another convenience store.

Namasko!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:56 PM

    Joko Londo, I love your blog!! Don't stop....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:17 PM

    Hi, I actually have some questions for you about working at Full Spectrum Lending.....I'm considering going to work for a branch in SoCal and I want to know what is the base salary (if any)and how much commission do they give you?

    I've read your archives and I've learned so much. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warpd,

    There are two different divisions within FSL.
    "Traditional" and "CMD Dedicated". I am employed by
    the latter, meaning I work with the "A paper" loan
    officers, doing loans they can't. The traditional
    branches work the phones a lot and actually try to
    drive their own business. I can only speak about the
    compensation plan in my division.

    Or can I? What if you're the competition trying to
    figure out how little you can pay your employees, or
    how much more you need to offer someone to woo them
    away from FSL?
    If you're really being considered for hire, isn't this
    something you can ask of the recruiter or manager?

    I don't feel comfortable revealing the EXACT numbers,
    but let me put it this way. The base isn't enough to
    live on. The commission structure is inline with what
    other direct lenders pay. What is tricky is that once
    you're past 90 days of employment, you must fund 3
    sub-prime loans per month to earn any commission at
    all. Get 2, too bad. Have a bad stretch, no paycheck.
    For example, in August, for one reason or another
    (most beyond my control) all my loans fell apart. I
    earned ZERO commisssions. September was good; I made
    more than I did selling washing machines. In October,
    I earned more in one month than I ever have at any job
    in my life. In November, I am looking at a big zero
    again.

    I hope I've answered your question without revealing
    any Countrywide secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:38 PM

    Thanks!! Warpd25

    Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete