Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Music Time

I cry in my car. That may make me sound like one of these super-sensitive post-modern men who strives to take ownership of his emotions. Think what you like, but perhaps because I'm oftentimes not all that at one with my feelings that with the right stimulus, my emotions overcome me. I mean, even a particularly touching TV commercial can make me misty-eyed. I've always been that way, but it's always required some external media influence to let me feel what I do.

In the car, it's my music. Right now, System of a Down Toxicity is in my CD player. Track 7, Chop Suey! played really really loudly causes the tears to flow. If you don't recall the title, you might remember the lyrics Why did you leave the keys up on the table? 'Cause you wanted to..." or "...trust in my self-righteous suicide...". System of a Down is an amazing band out of Fresno that mixes the hard core metal rhythms and guitars I've always loved with a melodic sophistication and poignant, often politcal lyrics. They're Metallica meets Linkin Park meets left-wing protest band. My wife bought me their new CD. I like it, but Toxicity remains my favorite.

Listening to really loud music is my favorite thing about my new car. It's got a kick ass stereo sytem, and cars really have incredible accoustics. I can sing along as loud as I want (if I'm alone) and no one minds. I'll often gesticulate wildly while singing, which gets me strange looks from pedestrians or other drivers. It's truly a time to unwind and be at one with an art form. Again, getting in touch with the art helps me get in touch with myself and my emotions, and hence the occasional tear.

1 comment:

  1. That whole leaving the keys up on the table thing... Brilliant. Brilliant. I don't know what it means, but it's... brilliant.

    I'm still moved to tears whenever I hear, Run to the Hills. If you don't recall the title, you might remember the lyrics, "White man came across the sea. He brought us pain and misery". Iron Maiden was a popular 80's band out of... well, frankly, I don't know where they were from or where they are now and truthfully, I never really cared for them, anyway... Sometimes political, always predictable - that whole 80's devil worshipping heavy metal scene - it was like, totally Dio, you know? Yeah man, I'm getting a tear right now... Excuse me...

    Zelig X

    ReplyDelete