Monday, May 21, 2012

Off to Yellowstone!

An old friend of mine whom I’ve known since high school (who happens to live in Montana and I am going to visit in a couple of days) commented on one of my very first videos: “it’s amazing what one can get can get away with when one is completely unreserved about what one does”… 

Words to live by. 

Tomorrow, I depart on a thousand mile journey into the wilderness. I’ll admit, I have both a lot of fears and a lot of expectations for this week long journey. My fears include: What if my car breaks down in the middle of nowhere? What if I run out of money? What if the weather won’t cooperate? My expectations are ones I have self-imposed. I want to make the best ever Tour d’Joko videos I have ever made. What if I wuss out and am lazy about getting the footage I’ll need? What if I don’t spot a single bison, bear or wolf? Up until today, I feared I’d run out of memory on my digital video camera, but I bought a 32GB SD card today for $23... A couple years back, a 16GB card would have cost $100.… 

I’m heading off into the unknown, and to be honest, I am not 100% prepared for what might happen out there. I’m maybe 80% prepared. That said, I want to recapture the spirit of the very first Tour d’Joko, which happens to have occurred exactly five years ago this week. I spent a week on the road, and to my mind at least, what I captured on that journey was special. The first Tour d’Joko ended up being chronicled it 21 video parts. Here a couple of the early ones.

As a videographer, I have evolved since those days, so, content wise, there will be similarities but hopefully, some significant improvements from the first Tour d’Joko. Ack! How to balance spontaneity with direction… this is my challenge. Visiting another National Park that begins with the letter “Y”…

I’m going to be offline for the next week. See you all here in June when I start digesting the videos to come.

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck. I think you might find the place crowded. Hope the van holds up.

    ReplyDelete