Friday, April 20, 2012

Exploring an Urban Oasis

Last night, on Nova, I watched a nature documentary about a couple who went and spent a year in the Idaho wilderness. They lived in a tent most of the time, and the husband was a professional zoologist who studies and films wolves. Great film. 

Then I thought about my own Tour d’Joko films and the one I had just completed that day. Mind you, I’m not comparing as apples to apples something I, an amateur with consumer equipment, make in a couple of hours with an hour-long documentary that took a year to make. That said, there were imitable qualities to his film that I, with a little more patience than I normally have, maybe some better equipment and a firmer commitment to making something TV-worthy could replicate. Take inspiration from, at the very least, and that I have done.

 Next month, I’m going to spend a week at Yellowstone National Park. I want to turn that time into the best Tour d’Joko film I have yet made. It will require planning. It will require some kind of mission or narrative beyond just me going on vacation. I need to think on these things. Come up with a story that will hold the viewers’ attention beyond the five-minute limit that most people who watch YouTube videos will tolerate. 

 Joko goes… what? 
In search of bear cubs?
 Finding the wolves of Yellowstone? 
Discover which kind of ukulele song bison enjoy most? 

 Like I said, I got some planning to do. In the meantime, please enjoy my latest marching-through-the-woods video, Tour d’Joko, Carkeek Park Edition. 

 My thanks to Momma Bear for my new fancy walking stick. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment